(This is a post about how I found out I was pregnant. I've been meaning to write it for a long time, but needed something like spring break to finally get around to it!)
Over winter break, on the winter solstice, I got the
surprise of a lifetime. My period was
11-12 days late, and I was starting to get frustrated and confused. I remained
highly skeptical that I could be pregnant, despite a coworker insisting that I had to be. I know it happened once before, but
that was just a fluke (right?) and didn’t result in a take home baby. Some
people might wonder why I waited so long to take a test. Well, last time I had
a failed FET cycle my next cycle was 36 days, meaning that my period was 8 days
late. My guess is that my body doesn’t truly reset until the estrogen and
progesterone levels drop back to normal, which doesn’t happen immediately. I
knew that I ovulated at least a week late based on my body’s signs, so I fully
expected to have a late period. If I were a normal person, I would’ve started
to become suspicious when I got super nauseous after drinks and seafood with
coworkers around 7 days “late.” I might have assumed that the lingering upset
stomach for the remainder of the week after that was something other than “bad
seafood.” It wasn’t until that Saturday when my chest started to get really sore
(which honestly I figured was more a sign that my stubborn period was finally
going to start) that I started to piece things together. My mom and step-dad
were visiting for Christmas, and we needed to make a last minute gift purchase.
On our way to the store I said to Brian, “Either I’m dying or I’m pregnant
because my stomach has not felt right this whole week. And the odds are better that
I’m dying.” Brian replied that he thought the opposite, then insisted on a
detour to the grocery store to buy a test. Later while he was on an errand with
my step-dad I snuck up to the bathroom and took the test. The test line showed
up immediately, and it was super dark. The weird thing is, I wasn’t nearly as shocked
as I expected to be. Maybe it’s because this has happened once before, or maybe
it was because it was kind of a relief that I wasn’t dying of something. Either
way, I decided that I would wrap up the test and put it under the tree for
Brian to open. I spent the next few hours dying of anticipation.
| Not so surprised. |
When Brian opened the gift bag, there was zero surprise
on his face. He had seen the outer wrapper to the box in the trash and figured
if a negative test wasn’t also in the trash, then a positive one must be hidden
somewhere. Stupid smart husband. My mom on the other hand was absolutely
shocked. I wish I would have taken her
picture! It took her a couple minutes and several questions before it finally
sunk in. Holy shit, they got pregnant on their own! That was a fun moment.
| This picture is super blurry and Noah has his eyes closed, but for me it captures the real excitement of the moment. Even though Noah had no idea what he was holding. |
| Blazing BFP |
The next several weeks were equal parts thrilling and
terrifying. Once I got past my 9 week ultrasound I really started to believe in
this, although all along I’ve felt that in some ways, this baby was so
perfectly timed that s/he must truly be a gift from above and completely meant
to be. The irony is not lost on me that when I wrote this post, it was technically
day one of this pregnancy. Thank you again God, Universe, whoever it was who
gave me this special gift. I am so grateful.

What a fantastic surprise!!!
ReplyDeleteLisa's mom here, and here is my take on this story. Yes, it was a fantastic surprise! My first thought was total confusion. I knew she had just had a failed FET transfer and was waiting for everything to process for a new fresh cycle. I both dreaded it and looked forward to it for her. So, when her husband handed me the “pee stick” (and nothing says Merry Christmas like a positive pee stick, does it?) I was both shocked and confused. WHAT?! It was mostly confusion, like “Wait. I don’t understand.” So this puts us in the awkward position of a mother asking her 33-year-old married daughter how she got pregnant! It quickly sunk in, however, and I crossed arms, legs, ankles and fingers and proclaimed, “Everything crossed!” It was easily the most exciting Christmas gift of the night/year/decade. We were cautiously optimistic.
ReplyDeleteAs the mother of an IF daughter/couple I certainly understand much of the agony and trepidation that they have gone through, though none of us ever really know until we walk in those shoes. I tried to be very careful not to be TOO congratulatory, especially in light of the previous natural pregnancy that was over almost before it started a couple of years ago. And I was not to tell anyone about this “just in case.” Understandable. BUT, okay so here it gets tricky. I went out to dinner with two of my very best lifelong friends. (I’m talking since kindergarten, people.) And one of them had recently found out the exciting news that she was going to become a first-time grandmother. They are both kind, sensitive people and knew that Lisa had just had a failed cycle two months prior, and so they didn’t want to ignore the elephant in the room. They asked how she was doing. I hedged. I wasn’t supposed to share, remember? So, I said, “Oh, they haven’t gone ahead with anything yet.” The one nodded her head as though to say, “Understood.” And that would have kept my secret. But the other one looked me straight in the eye and said, “Well, I’ve been praying every day that she won’t need to.” When I looked at her quizzically, she said, “I’ve been praying that it just happens for them.” I was a bit dumbstruck. (She is my most religious friend, and I am perhaps her least, though we met at Luther League.) I just nodded my head as I reached for my phone upon which I had just downloaded the first ultrasound picture. How could I not, after what she had just shared? I held my phone out for them to see, and said, “You mean like this?” Now it was their turn to look confused. So I confirmed it. “She is. A surprise NATURAL pregnancy.” They both immediately teared up, and of course, were absolutely beyond thrilled. As are we all. And the next time I need BIG prayers, I know where to go!
What a fun story! Loved reading it.
ReplyDeleteCheri, I had to laugh reading this. I don't know what your experience is, but IMO, sons are less communicative than daughters. I wish I had taken a screen shot of it, but I got a text that said something like "Lisa is probably pregnant." I think I replied "?" A short time later, Lisa texted me a photo of the pee stick. Your experience sounds WAY more fun!
ReplyDeleteThis is hilarious, and so Brian!!
DeleteI haven't been around for like a year, so I had no idea this was a natural pregnancy for you! That is awesome!
ReplyDelete