Wednesday, July 30, 2014

36 Weeks and Disappointed

Today was my 36 week appointment. I had the lovely group B strep test, and an ultrasound to check the position of baby. And that's when the appointment turned from carefree and happy to disappointing. Our baby is breech, with his/her head and (and possibly feet) up near my right rib cage. I have an external version scheduled for Sunday at exactly 37 weeks in hopes that they can get baby to turn head down. I am not looking forward to this as there is a small risk of complications and only about a 50% success rate. I have also heard it is quite painful. However, they will do it in the hospital so that should any issues arise, they can perform an emergency c-section. This is basically my only choice if I have any hope of a vaginal birth. If baby doesn't turn, then we will schedule a c-section during the 39th week. To say I am disappointed is an understatement. I know that at the end of the day, the only thing that matters about giving birth is that baby and mommy are healthy. But I loved my birth experience with Noah and want nothing more than to deliver this baby the same way. I know there are worse things in life than needing a c-section. And believe me, I would much rather be here facing this possibility than getting the 4th, 5th, or 6th negative beta phone call. I am so blessed to even be pregnant with this baby. So I'll try to come to terms with this, and hope beyond hope that the version works and baby doesn't move again. According to my mom, I was breech and her version worked. I was an August baby as well. Maybe it's a stubborn girl after all?

How Far Along: 36w3d

How Big Is Baby: According to BabyCenter baby is the size of a head of romaine lettuce. They guesstimate a weight of almost 6 pounds and length of 18.5”. I doubt that very much.

Sex: I have no idea. I still guess boy.

Symptoms: Lots of Braxton Hicks contractions, many of which make it difficult to walk or breathe. Some swelling in my ankles (and calves if I’ve been particularly active). Occasional heartburn. Insane pelvic pain and pressure. It feels like my pubic bone is a wish-bone about to be snapped in half.

Food Cravings/Aversions: Nothing really.

Belly Button: Ridiculously popped. I have given up on feeling self-conscious about how much it shows through my shirts.

Sleep: I still sleep through the night, but my hips and pelvis are none too happy each morning. I wonder if the pelvic pain is related to baby’s breech position.

Stretch Marks: The old ones appear more noticeable now, but I don’t think any new ones have arrived yet.

Weight Gain: I am up about 30 total. I weighed in at 138.2 this morning. I am very pleased to see the gain level off, and I think I’ve done a great job of gaining what they wanted me to.

Maternity Clothes: All day every day. Overnight I am mostly wearing some of Brian’s larger t-shirts but I’m running out of options.

Movement: Baby is still moving around a lot, gets hiccups several times a day, and assaults my cervix several times a week. Baby seems to be most active during the morning and later evening.

What I Miss: Feeling normal. I don’t even remember what that’s like. I am pretty tired of how sore my pelvis is and can’t wait for that pain to end.

What I’m Looking Forward To: Hearing the doctor tell me that the version was a success. (I can hope, right?)

Best Moment This Week: Finally getting paint started in the nursery! We were originally thinking a light grey with aqua, lime, and yellow accents. Then I realized that I actually really wanted an aqua nursery. The color is called Jamaican Aqua, and I love it! As for additional decorating, I am trying to find the motivation.

Milestones: We have hit the point of no return. If I go into labor at this point, there is no stopping me.


The Bump:

3 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how excited I am for you to be expecting right now. I'm sorry I haven't voiced my support along the way, but I have been reading and sending happy healthy vibes in your direction.

    Has anyone mentioned spinningbabies.com to you? I'll never know of course if hanging upside-down off the couch had any affect on my pregnancies, but both girls stayed head-down. It felt good to take the pressure and weight off my lower abdomen too. It's worth a look, and maybe you can avoid the external version (which sounds unpleasant to say the least).

    So hey- hurray for you!! I'm happy to know Noah will be a big brother soon. I love the sound of your new home. I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hope your version works!! I would have been incredibly disappointed if I wasn't allowed to do a vaginal birth as well. Does your hospital ever allow breech vaginal births? My SIL delivered her baby footling breech (feet first) in Iowa 2 years ago (her hospital in MN didn't allow it so they drove 2 hrs south across the border!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that the version works and your baby turns so you can have a vaginal delivery! Excited that you are getting so close!!! Can't wait to find out if you are having a boy or girl!

    ReplyDelete