Saturday, August 30, 2014

2 Weeks

I wish I could be writing these updates like I did with Noah, capturing all of the fun and exciting things my baby is doing. Instead, I have to document all of the concerning issues going on with my baby girl. Today's concern is with her liver. When she was first born, things looked ok. Then she started looking jaundiced so she got the bili light. I wasn't worried because Noah had jaundice too, and it's common when a mom has Rh- and a baby has Rh+ blood. About a week ago one of our doctors told us that her direct bilirubin level was climbing again, along with a liver enzyme called GGT. He guessed it was most likely because she hadn't gotten to eat a lot of breast milk following her surgery, and expected the levels to drop again. And they did. But today they drew her blood again and now the levels of both direct bilirubin and GGT are even higher. They did an ultrasound of her liver and saw nothing obviously wrong. This means that a pediatric gastroenterologist will be seeing her early next week, and they may need to biopsy her liver to get a better understanding of what is going on. The diagnosis for now is cholestasis. Excuse me as I go Google that and then cringe in fear. Can't this poor girl ever win? Oh, and don't even ask me about how she's eating. Words can't express how sick I am of talking about that.

5 comments:

  1. Ugh, I'm so sorry that you're facing all of these struggles with Elodie. :( Praying things improve soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to read this, I pray that things will start to get better for this precious girl. So sorry, mama, you stay strong! You are doing great and we are all rooting for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope she starts eating and the GI doctor can pin point the issue. Lots of PTs for Miss Elodie and you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there mama. XXX (those are big hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am behind in commenting. Hope your little girl is making progress with eating! Thinking of you & your family.

    ReplyDelete