Tuesday, April 26, 2011

ONE!

One amazing year. One amazing baby boy! I feel so lucky to have Noah in my life. This has truly been the most enjoyable, fulfilling, and exciting year of my life. Watching Noah grow from a tiny, helpless, squirmy little infant to a curious, inquisitive, happy little boy has been simply amazing. Each day I love him just a little bit more, which doesn't seem possible. I think my heart must be about ready to burst!

In the last month, Noah's budding personality has truly blossomed. He is such a happy-go-lucky kid. It's hard not to get a picture with him smiling or laughing. He giggles in response to our giggles, mimics our hand gestures, growls with the dog, and howls and sings when we do the same. He watches our every move so intently, and takes great delight in trying to copy us. In doing so he's picked up on clapping and giving high fives. We're still working on blowing kisses. He thinks it hysterical to shake his head "no," even when the answer is a definite "yes." I'm pretty sure he hasn't actually connected meaning to the shaking, but Mommy and Daddy laugh so hard that it's simply too fun to stop. Another BIG achievement this month: taking his first steps! The night before his first birthday, Noah took two steps towards Daddy! He has repeated his new skill a number of times now. I think his record is around 4 steps before falling to the ground. Like I said, it is just so amazing watching him grow and develop. I can't even imagine how much he'll have changed by this time next year! And I can't wait to find out!

At times, I find myself thinking about the future and what that will look like for our family. I know I definitely want to experience pregnancy again. I loved pretty much every second of being pregnant. Yet I find that I keep having this really odd feeling. One day as I was reading Lauren's blog, I finally realized what this feeling is. She wrote something about her son (who happens to share Noah's name), and she finally put into words what I couldn't. I do want to be pregnant again. But what I really want is to be pregnant with Noah again. When I think about having another baby, I find myself thinking, "No! Noah is my baby! I don't want to have to share his time with anyone else." I don't know if this feeling will fade over time or not. What I do know is that yes, I do want one more child, but I am nowhere near ready yet! For now, I have my baby, and I couldn't feel more content!

Anyway, Noah had his 12 month appointment yesterday. After losing a little weight in March from 2 straight weeks of the rotavirus, Noah packed on 2 full pounds, and finds himself at 19lbs, 3oz (6th %ile). He is 29.5 inches tall (25th %ile). Overall he seems very healthy, and is meeting milestones right on target. I talked with the pediatrician a little about vaccinations and her thoughts on the whole Autism debate. I do believe in vaccinating, but I hate that there has to be so much controversy over it. No one wants to think they could do something to cause their child harm. She is of the opinion that the increase in diagnosis is tied to the increase in awareness and understanding of Autism. And from her observations, she felt that Noah shows no signs. Does anyone else worry needlessly over these things? I just hate the thought of losing the boy that he is, because he's so perfect to me!

So on that happy note... ;)

HAPPY FIRST BIRTHDAY LITTLE BUG! I cannot imagine my life without your happy little face!


7 comments:

  1. I worry about the autsim thing, too. But I'm also fairly certain that the increase in autism is not just due to awareness, but due to increased environmental causes. Like all the plastics and everything else. I'm choosing to believe there is no link to vaccines! But I still don't love vaccines.

    I'm glad I could put into words what you could not. Having baby #2 in no way fixes your desire to go back in time with baby Noah! I ALSO don't want to split time between 2 babies. Our fictional second baby seems like an interloper to me. Like an obligation that will keep me from doing my full job with Noah. But I keep trying to remind myself that that will be MY baby, just like Noah is my baby. And I will love them both so much, because they're both MY kids. Not my kid Noah and some stranger's kid. lol

    Anyway, Happy Birthday to your Noah!!! And congratulations Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Noah! He's such a cute little boy. I would love to see you guys, soon!

    I worry about a lot of things, too. I worry that some stranger is going to see my baby in her crib on the same video monitor as us and kidnap her. I worry that the deck will collapse while Rob is holding her on it. I worry that the dog will accidentally scratch her. I worry about worrying too much. And, from what I hear, it will never end.

    Regarding vaccines, we pretty much go balls to the wall and go with the recommended schedule. I feel sad about her pain, but she's in day care and needs all the protection I can give. Here's an article that debunks the autism and vaccine link: http://live.washingtonpost.com/autism-and-vaccinations:-study-debunked.html

    And Congrats on your first year as a Mommy. You've done a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Noah!!! He sounds like such a wonderful baby, Lisa! Hope to be in your shoes soon! Noah's birthday was on my transfer day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Big Boy!

    Yes, I worry... I just want everything to be perfect. But such is life! Recently, the study which showed link between vaccination and autism was falsified (will have to look it up)... who knows it might still be true to some extent. But a bigger culprit today is probably our lifestyle (pollution, preservatives, other chemicals etc), awareness and screening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday!
    We go with the regular vaccination schedule here, as our family doctor is on the ball, has twins a couple months older than K, and she recommended it. I didn't want to agonize over it, or worry that she'd be harmed by getting one of the diseases they can immunize against.
    Yay for walking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lisa- I just wrote a post about taking a home pregnancy test and don't think that I will. I am so emotional right now, that I think throwing tests into the mix might send me into crazytown! My first beta is tomorrow....but you are right, I won't get results until my 2nd one on Tuesday. Thanks for all your support!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks again for all of your support. I sure hope you are right, I feel like such a failure. Dr.Bush told me his success rate this year is 100%! And, him and the embryologist gave us an 80% change of success this cycle because our embryos looked so great, so I had so much hope that our first cycle would work! I'm thankful we have 5 more embies...I sure hope one the next two we transfer is the "golden one." The waiting is getting more and more difficult.

    ReplyDelete