Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Devastated

This is going to be brief, and I'm not sure that I'll come back to this space for a while. Yesterday Brian and I met with the high risk perinatologist. She performed the ultrasound and delivered the grim news. We won't know specifics until after the baby is born, but her guess is that sometime since our 20 week anatomy scan, our baby suffered a serious brain bleed. It appears to have significantly impacted his/her brain development, and there is a very large amount of extra fluid present in all areas. Baby's body is also measuring small, although at this time we're not sure if we are just having a small baby, or if it is indicative of possible genetic abnormalities. I will undergo a c-section on Monday, August 18th to accommodate the size of the baby's head, which is part of the reason baby has had a difficult time staying head down. We will hopefully learn much more after the baby is born, but the prognosis is very poor. Most likely we are looking at a severely impaired baby in all areas of development, and it is also quite possible that baby will not be able to survive outside of the womb. 

Brian and I are obviously completely heartbroken and devastated. We are having a very difficult time helping Noah to understand what is happening. (Let alone ourselves.) That has honestly been the most difficult part for me. I feel tremendous guilt for excitedly preparing him to become a big brother, only to yank all of it away from him at the very end. He truly is the light in our life right now, and I have never been so thankful to have him.

Please keep our family in your thoughts and prayers as we navigate this difficult path. I hope to come back to this space after I have had more time to process everything that has happened.


12 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for everything you are going through. I am sending you strength and peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry!! I am thinking of you & your family. Wish there were more words to help. Please know you are in our thoughts & prayers. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to be reading this news. I can't imagine the pain you are feeling, do what you need to take care of yourself. Many prayers of hope, healing and grace for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry. I will keep you all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry! I am praying for an extra large miracle!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry! I am long time reader, but I don't comment. My heart breaks for you and I'm just praying for a miracle of miracles in Jesus' that everything is going to be okay with the baby. I am so sorry. I will keep all of you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bless your dear hearts! I just found out about your blog and situation through Amber from Amber Under Construction. I just wanted to let you know that you are in my prayers, and my heart goes out to you so much. GOD is able to heal this child right there in your womb, and that is what we are believing Him to do. The parents of Baby Obed were given very grave news while their baby was in utero, and when Obed was born the other day, none of the things they said would happen have happened. It is a Divine-intervention miracle that you are welcome to read about, if you care to at http://cherylsmithministries.blogspot.com/2014/07/baby-obed-exceptional-miracle.html AND http://cherylsmithministries.blogspot.com/2014/07/baby-obed-update.html. I share this story only to encourage you to please NOT give up hope. God is bigger than this situation, and He still performs miracles. I will surely be lifting you in prayer during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm just shocked and so very, very sorry your family is going through so much. My heart goes out to you--we're all crying with you. I'm so glad Amber sent me your way so I can give my support. *hugs* XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry to hear this. I am sending peaceful thoughts and all the hugs in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lis - I am so sorry. Those little words hardly convey the depth of sadness that I feel for you. I will keep your family wrapped in my thoughts. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many tears for you all. I hope things turn out better than expected...this is just so unfair and sad. I am so, so sorry you are going through this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What horrific news to receive at such a happy time. I hope everything turns out better than they expect, and that you and yours have lots of love and support through all of this.

    ReplyDelete