Brian remained optimistic, or at least pretended to for my sanity. The morning of August 4th, he busily finished painting the last coat of Jamaican Aqua on the nursery walls. He would later tell me he did so because he wasn't sure there would be a point to finishing the nursery after that day's doctor appointment.
One year ago today, we learned that Elodie had hydrocephalus. It was a heartbreaking day, probably the worst day of my life. There is no way to prepare for that kind of news. We were told our baby would probably never walk, talk, or feed herself. That she may not survive birth. There was no way to know her condition for sure, but it didn't look good. We were told to prepare for the worst.
Elodie has now been in our lives for 353 days. I still don't know what her future holds. But I do know that I'm okay with that. She may never be able to squeal "Mommy!" as she runs to my open arms (though I have faith that she will), but she is everything I could have wanted in a daughter, and more. She has taught me more than I will ever teach her, and she has made me stronger than I ever thought possible. And although there will always be scars, she is healing my broken heart each and every day.

My heart broke for you one year ago and it smiles with you today! I'm so happy little Elodie is in your life and is helping heal your heart (((hugs)))
ReplyDeleteShe is such a beautiful blessing. it's been a while since I've followed. My heart and prayers are with your family as you face each new day with the love and hope you have had all this time!!!!
ReplyDeleteShe is such a beautiful blessing. it's been a while since I've followed. My heart and prayers are with your family as you face each new day with the love and hope you have had all this time!!!!
ReplyDeleteGosh, I remember that day and how my heart just broke for you guys. I'm so thankful that E has been able to help you heal that broken heart! <3
ReplyDelete