Friday, April 16, 2010

Signs of Labor for Dummies


Does this book exist, because I would buy it!

(A word of warning: Some of this might be TMI, especially for relatives and friends who read for fun. I'm only putting it out there for some possible advice and support from fellow IFers. So don't blame me if I gross you out. You've been warned!)

I feel like I've gone back in time to the days of (mis)interpreting every little thing my body does to try to figure out if I'm pregnant. Except now every single twinge, cramp, discharge, etc. sends my mind spinning into a whirlwind of what-was-thats and does-it-mean-I'm-going-into-labor. At my appointment on Tuesday I failed to mention the giant gush of blood (not exaggerating ladies, it made quite the mess) that followed my cervical exam. The doctor looked mostly nonplussed, although there appeared to be a hint of surprise on his face. The nurse handed me a pad and the doctor reassured me it's normal to bleed after an exam. I spotted for the next two days, and on Wednesday there were some large brown clot looking things that showed up. I'm not sure if it was mucus plug or just after effects of my cervical assault. Then last night I woke up around 2:00 and had some funny cramps. It was mostly lower back ache that radiated around to the front and felt like menstrual cramps. I thought for sure it had to be the beginning of real contractions. But now I feel like it had to be psychosomatic because it lasted only about 30 minutes. Plus there didn't seem to be any tightening that went with it, just achiness. Ugh!

The last couple days I've tortured myself with shows like Bringing Home Baby and Baby Story. It's making me SO impatient. It doesn't help that a lot of the people I cycled with have recently given birth to their bundles of joy. So here's to hoping for a little miracle this weekend!

6 comments:

  1. Crossing my fingers for you! I think when the contractions start you will know the difference. Just be patient. Enjoy this moment of solitude and calm before the storm!!!

    On the upside...at least your tummy is feeling better from the food poisoning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it's this weekend too. I bet the suspense is killing ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's go baby! We want to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll know. Read my blog - a couple weeks of mucousy discharge and spooting, multiple evenings of freqent tightenings. And still I was induces 10 days late.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One last belly shot, pleeeeeease???? On the day your Ticker shows 0 DAYS!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I had a dream last night that I was shopping at a mall and went in to use the bathroom. I flushed the toilet and the water began to run all over the floor. It was a small bathroom, and oddly enough it had a linen closet! So I grabbed a bunch of towels and threw them down to absorb the water, and then I reached into the tank and wiggled the floaty to stop the water. Why am I telling you all this? Because when I woke up I thought, Wow! It's Lisa's due date. I bet her water is going to break today!! :-D

    ReplyDelete