F you so hard.
Today has been rough. Yesterday I had no time to cry or get angry. I got the phone call literally minutes before we needed to leave for my friend's wedding. I was just about to fix my makeup when it happened. Ok, I did cry for about 2 minutes and then put in fresh contacts and told myself to keep it together. I didn't want to show up to the wedding looking like a freak. I was numb most of the night, and a little angry. Since we began trying to conceive, I stopped drinking for the most part. Despite wanting to get blotto last night, I was wise and stayed pretty much sober. A couple times during the ceremony I thought I might lose it. After it was over, I said to Brian, "There should be something in those vows about hoping you don't end up infertile." Seriously.
On the way home I did cry some. I also cried in bed. This morning when I woke up I kind of hoped I had dreamt the whole thing, but my swollen puffy eyes quickly dashed any hope of that. This whole cancellation caught me so off guard. I really didn't see this coming. We have been operating under the belief that our infertility is male factor alone. All of my bloodwork, ultrasounds, hysterograms, and hysteroscopy have been described as perfect. Now I've had a surprise chemical pregnancy and "abnormal" lining within two months. It makes me worry that having another will be more of a challenge than we anticipated. Maybe I am broken, too. I thought this FET would be easy. I guess it was probably naive to think that I could be so lucky two times in a row. I mean, our first IVF went about as well as one could hope for. So there, if any of you ever thought I was overly Polly-fucking-Anna about how easy peasy this shit has been, I have my comeuppance.
This whole nightmare has given me a whole new respect for women who have been thoroughly screwed over by infertility. I'm losing it over a canceled cycle. I can't imagine failing over and over again, or losing a pregnancy. What's hardest is that for now, I have no plan. No idea what comes next, or when. We can't get in to see our doctor until August 14th (WTF?!), so until then it's just hurry up and wait, and wonder where it all went wrong. I can't help but wonder if maybe something stuck around from that chemical. Who knows. In the meantime, I have to take Provera so that I will have a normal period this cycle. When I went to pick up the prescription, the guy behind the counter said, "I have to ask you this question due to the nature of this medication. Are you pregnant?" Once again I was caught off guard, and I felt tears almost immediately welling up. I replied, "I couldn't be less pregnant." He apologized and again told me he was required to ask that question. Talk about adding insult to injury.
I emailed my nurse this morning to ask exactly what they saw on the ultrasound. I was too foggy and emotional yesterday to even think to ask when she called. Hopefully we'll have some answers soon. For now? I will try to put all of my energy into fully appreciating the rest of my summer off with Noah. Minnesota, here we come!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Ohh, I'm so sorry! I didn't see your update yesterday so I didn't know that your cycle had in fact been cancelled. That is so disappointing:( Not fair! I am so with you - Eff infertility!
ReplyDeleteThis really sucks. And regardless of who has the IF issues, as a couple the whole situation sucks completely. Even when it all seems relatively "minor." Anything that stops you from creating the family you dream about is heartbreaking. I'm sorry to hear that you're dealing with this and that it's hitting you so hard. I hope that once you do get in to see your RE, it's something diagnosable and easily treated (or needing no treatment at all).
ReplyDeleteHave you ever tried being a pest with your RE's office? I've used that tactic on occasion to great success. I called every morning to find out if there had been a cancellation. It got to the point where the receptionist called ME to let me know an earlier appointment was available.
Enjoy Noah! He's a great little distraction.
Love B's response! Yes. Be a pest.
ReplyDeleteAnd from there, here's my response:
1. Yes. This sucks. You are a planner, and your plans all went to hell in a handcart.
2. Switch docs. You know you want to. Do it. The guy seems to have zero bedside manner. You owe him nothing. And you don't seem to particularly trust him.
3. Come home and let us all spoil you (and Noah).
4. It will work out eventually. Noah is perfect living proof. No Pollyanna here. Just being logical in the midst of all these crappy circumstances.
5. Take any, all, or none of the above advice. You're a smart girl. You'll figure it out.
Love you,
Mom
Your mom is completely sweet. :) I completely understand being upset about it...because it sucks! Besides just wanting to pour you a shot (not so wise, but enjoyable), I want to kick your RE office's behind. Seriously, they need to give you a game plan from what you do from here. Is the abnormality in the lining something you could expect to be gone in your next cycle? Is it a try next month thing? Please call them and bug the shit out of them. There is no reason they can't squeeze you in. (hugs)
ReplyDelete