Five and a half years ago, my friend Maggie's sister Rachel moved to Denver. She found a roommate, Noelle, through a website. Noelle moved from St. Louis. The first time I met her we all went out on the town. She was dressed all chic and looked like someone straight off of the first season or two of America's Next Top Model. She was tall, stylish, and had a cute cropped haircut that only a select few can pull off. I never really expected to become close friends with her. She was more of an acquaintance for the first couple of years that I knew her. But then she got pregnant just before me. We had our boys 3 months and 11 days apart. On my due date, her adorable little Wilson sat on my lap and knocked on my belly, as if he was inviting his soon-to-be best friend to come out and play.
 |
| Silly Wilson |
Noelle is the amazing friend who quit her job days before I had to go back to work and agreed to drive to our house every morning to watch Noah. I think she saved my life by doing that because I was terrified about leaving Noah at a stranger's house when he was so little. We didn't pay her nearly what she was worth, something I still feel guilty about. She has been one of my biggest supporters throughout our infertility struggles. Despite having no fertility issues of her own, she just seems to get it better than the rest of my fertile friends. We have bonded through countless play dates, birthday parties, and get-togethers with our boys. Noelle was the first to pout and complain when Brian and I talked about moving to Minnesota. "But what will Wilson do without his best friend?" she would lament.
 |
| One of many play dates at Monkey Bizness |
On Thursday, Noelle turned the tables. She moved back to St. Louis to start a new job. We were supposed to get together last Saturday one last time, but poor Noah was still getting over his fever. On Wednesday the boys FaceTimed their goodbyes, and by goodbyes I mean Wilson ate crackers and laughed at Noah while he ran around pretending to drill things. Oh, it has been so much fun to watch these two baby boys grow up into silly toddlers with messy faces, who bang on xylophones and watch movies without any pants on.
To Noelle, Earl, Wilson, and baby Ethan, you will all be incredibly missed! Your friendship has meant so much to me. Thank you for everything!
What a sweet boy Noah is to Wilson and what a sweet friend you are to Noelle. She is so appreciative of your friendship. You deserve all the beat this world can give you and your family!!
ReplyDeleteSo sorry you and Noah won't have your close friends living so close anymore =( That's so tough!
ReplyDeleteI, too, am thankful to all that Noelle means to you, both when Noah was a wee little babe, and your continued friendships (both yours and Noah's!). Would that your friendships were all that was holding you to Colorado . . .
ReplyDelete(Can I get an Amen, Gamma Wendy?) ;-)
oh, you know I love you no matter where you live, Sweetie.