Thursday, December 20, 2012

Rolling With the Punches

Lately I feel like a big Debbie Downer. Complain, complain, complain. I don't particularly like feeling this way, but oh my goodness it feels like the universe is just raining shit on us. Here's the latest, in bullets, because I'm lazy and exhausted.
  • On Tuesday I used the bathroom at work and discovered that I was bleeding again. This time it actually resembles a period with cramps and consistent flow. It's much heavier than normal, but at this point I've given up on anything "normal" happening down there for a while. I had to reschedule my sonohysterogram to January 2nd as a result, so I'll be kicking off the new year with my feet in stirrups. Seems appropriate.
  • Also on Tuesday, Brian brought Gilbert (our shih-tzu/yorkie mix) to the vet for x-rays. He went out to pee on Sunday and came back in the house limping. Well, guess who tore his right knee and needs surgery? Combined with all of my medical bills as of late, our savings account should be empty in no time.
  • Over the weekend Noah came down with a cough and fever. It has stuck around all week, peaking in awfulness yesterday it seems. Sleep around here has been scant. It's like having a newborn again. He wakes himself up coughing every 10-15 minutes (on a good night), then wakes up crying out for me 2-3 times per night. He looks like a comatose zombie most of the time, and refuses to eat or drink. Brian took him to the doctor Monday and everything pointed to a virus. Last night we brought him back to urgent care due to his deteriorating appetite and concerns over dehydration. They concluded he has the flu. I feel like a shit parent for forgetting to get his flu shot earlier this fall. Today I am spending my 11th full day off of work since the school year started so I can try to nurse this poor kid back to health. So far he's eaten a small bowl of dry fruit loops and drank some juice. Progress? God I hope so. I can't handle another night like last.
  • On our way home from urgent care last night, Brian asked me if I had remembered to wish one of our friends a happy birthday. I said no. He then asked me if I had seen his FaceBook status yet. I asked if I wanted to. It was a pregnancy announcement for baby number two, three weeks before our should be due date.
Brian aptly pointed out that many of the crummy things that have happened in the last couple of months are things you sign up for when you have a kid and a pet. And he's right. Kids get sick. Spastic little dogs can get injured. Periods are normal. Friends get pregnant and have kids. The only exceptionally shitty parts of this year were our two lost chances at having a baby. However, it just feels like a lot to deal with when all of these hard things have happened in the last two months.

Since I am now on Winter Break thanks to Noah's flu, I am going to try to document one thing I am grateful for over every day til the end of the year. I have no idea if I can actually follow through, but it's worth a shot. To kick it off, obviously the number one thing I am grateful for is my son. Noah is the brightest spot in our lives, without a doubt. We are so lucky to have him! I know this now more than ever.

3 comments:

  1. Seriously...I hope 2012 ends before any more bad crap can happen to you! Hope Noah feels better really soon and that 2013 is a year of all good things for you {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete
  2. AND Noah is about to be spoiled rotten by not ONE but TWO Grandmas very shortly! We will try to spoil you a little bit too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry Noah is sick. I have been home today too with my little guy. It is no fun seeing our children not feel well. I hope Noah feels better. I am so sorry for everything you have been through the last couple of months. I hope 2013 is a better year for both of us!!

    ReplyDelete