I've had a few different posts brewing in my mind (and notes on my phone), but I've felt so busy. It's finally a quiet afternoon, Noah is napping, and Brian is grocery shopping. I have time to post, but it's not one I expected or wanted to write.
Friday night we were having dinner at a friend's house. My mom called my phone around 8:30. I thought it was kind of odd, and I ended up ignoring it thinking I'd call her back later. Then Brian's phone started ringing. At this point, I was worried. I called her right back. My stepdad Ed had had a heart attack at home, my mom administered CPR until paramedics arrived, and he was rushed to the hospital with a pulse but not breathing. Since then, it feels like the news has gone from bad to worse. He has now had 3 heart attacks, 2 since arriving at the hospital, and his oxygen levels suck partially due to pneumonia. When he had the initial heart attack he vomited and ended up aspirating his dinner into his lungs. They still don't know how to treat this. His body has been cooled to support/preserve neurological functioning but they are attempting to warm him this evening. He will need a quadruple bypass provided, and God willing, he wakes up and gets stronger. They are considering moving him to the hospital at the University of Minnesota but admit that the transport would be risky.
It's been hard being away for all of this. I constantly debate about whether or not I should immediately board a plane and support my mom and stepsister. I have no idea how long he's going to be in the hospital, and I certainly can't take much work off after all the days I've missed, and knowing that I will be missing more days soon. Our impending FET feels up in the air. I should start Lupron tomorrow, but I worry that if things get even worse, I might have to postpone.
My stepdad Ed is the best dad a kid could ask for. He would literally give a stranger the shirt off his back, no questions asked. When we were little and lived in a neighborhood filled with little kids, if he heard someone start crying outside he would rush out to see what was wrong. He is selfless, kind, and extremely thoughtful. He's 64 years young, and two years shy from retirement. He deserves to enjoy that retirement. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Lisa I am so glad I checked your blog today. I will send up loads of prayers for him and your family. I have seen this happen to many others before and I know how terrifying it is. I would never give someone false hope, but I have seen people pull through these types of ordeals before. Making him hypothermic is the best measure for him right now. God bless you guys. You'll make the right decision about the Lupron vs. visiting him. xoxo...
ReplyDeleteAlso, I know what it is like to have a step-dad that you love just as much as a real father. Unfortunately, I know what it is also like to lose one. Again, you're in my prayers!!!
Oh no that is awful! I'll definitely keep him in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry!!! My thoughts are going out to Ed and to you and your Mom too. {{{HUGS}}}
ReplyDeleteOh, Lisa. I'm so sorry. I'm thinking of you and your family. Sending comfort...
ReplyDelete