The next thing that happened was the end of the paci. Noah had bit a hole in his last remaining one, and I warned him that if he continued to chew on it, I would have to throw it away. Well, one day he spat it out as I was getting him out of the car and I noticed that he had bit a much larger hole so that the tip was hanging on by a small piece of plastic. Into the trash it went, and we haven't looked back. Amazingly, he didn't even mention his paci for an entire week until we were driving somewhere the next weekend. It came up again recently when he found a yucky, lost paci. We threw that one away too, and he hasn't mentioned it since. I never thought it would be so easy! And I really don't miss pictures of him with his paci hanging off his lip!
With the return to school looming, I knew Noah had to get potty trained for preschool. I spent my last week of summer vacation in potty-training boot camp with him. Ugh. It was so boring sitting around the house all day. The first few days I tried sitting him on the toilet at specific times throughout the day. I often made him sit until he succeeded, which sometimes meant sitting on the floor of the bathroom for 30 minutes at a time. With every victory, he got a small bowl full of peanut M&Ms. This method was making me crazy and didn't seem to be motivating him at all. I decided to spend Wednesday-Sunday keeping him naked from the waist down and spent as much time home as possible. I set potty seats on two toilets and kept his portable Sesame Street potty chair in whichever room we were in. Every 30 minutes or so I would ask if he needed to go potty which really started to bug him. He kept asking me, "Why do you keep saying that?!" The first day of this strategy he used his Sesame Street chair 5 times and had 2 accidents. The next day was the same. The third day he had no accidents, but I did allow him to wear a pull-up when we met a friend at a park (and he definitely took advantage of it!). The fourth day we went to a community BBQ so this was his first day clothed with underwear. He stayed dry the whole time we were at the BBQ, but he did have two accidents before and after. The fifth day was awesome. He was clothed most of the day and only had one accident. We even went to the mall where he willingly used a public bathroom (we brought along his potty seat to use because at the time he was afraid of falling in). We celebrated his success by giving him "treat pacis" (ring pops) and with the purchase of a few Octonauts and How To Train Your Dragon toys. At this point, he is doing awesome with peeing, but pooping is another story. I am confident we'll get there eventually. We're also still relying on diapers at bed time, though in the morning he will ask to pee in the potty if we haven't changed him yet. I'm pretty proud of how fast he caught on considering how resistant he was to the whole process. This kid loved his diapers! (And I didn't mind them, either.)
| So excited for his "treat pacis!" |
| First Day of Preschool |

Ah, sweet boy! We are so on the same level right now...:) That's awesome that he took to potty training! We are having a struggle with it right now. It's not pretty! xxx
ReplyDeleteWow, so much happening! Looks like he loves his big boy bed and way to go for the progress on potty training and losing the paci. We totally need to get rid of the paci...soon. Happy he's enjoying preschool =)
ReplyDeleteWhen Kathy would remark about you or your brother, "Oh they're getting so big. They're really not a baby anymore," my response was always, "Bite your tongue! Yes they are because _________ (name your reason). They're still in diapers, or they're still little enough to carry, or any excuse that you were still my baby...
ReplyDelete