In other news, I had my first random baby belly attack today. A mom of a student who I had last seen before Xmas walked up to me and said, "It's still in there?!" Then she grabbed on with both hands, gave me a weird look, and said, "I think it's ready to come out now." I tried my best not to look annoyed and said, "No, I think he's got about 2 more months." Gross. People are so odd. I guess I do have a lot of little kids (mostly kinder) who come up to me and rub my tummy, but I think it's a lot cuter coming from a 5 year old. This one little girl is in a class for "emotionally disabled" students, although she no longer needs the class. When kids in there are too noisy or wild, she'll start yelling at them in her best English, "You scare the baby! You make the baby cry!" (On second thought, maybe her delusions qualify her to stay in there... kidding!!) She cracks me up!
Thursday, February 25, 2010
Miffed
All these books I read keep telling me that at 32 weeks most OBs start seeing their patients every two weeks, and then eventually weekly. My OB doesn't want to see me again until week 36. That's a full 8 weeks since my last visit. I do have an ultrasound with the perinatologist next week, but that's mostly just to see how my placenta is positioned. And it will still be 3 weeks after that until my next visit. So I won't be back to my doctor until late March. That seems crazy to me. It's not like I'm super worried about anything, but one of my cousins delivered her baby stillborn years ago and I can't help but think of that from time to time. You have no guarantees until baby is safely out. And even then. My friend's nephew turned blue his first night and has had numerous heart surgeries in his first year and a half. I'm pretty sure I'm beginning to realize that being worried is just part of being a mom. It's going to be a lifelong condition. So I should probably leave my own mom alone about it! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Maybe you can just tell your OB that you are uncomfortable letting 8 weeks go by without a visit...at least monthly is standard, so it's not asking too much. Maybe he thinks that the perinatologist visit counts as your monthly visit? Either way, just bug him and I bet he'll cave. Hope it works out. :)
ReplyDeleteI agree- 8 weeks is way too long between OB appointments at ANY time during pregnancy, but especially after you pass 32 weeks! My own MW seems a little late getting me into the weekly routine, but I'm having twice-weekly NSTs and weekly BPPs, so plenty of people (including me) are checking on Ishka every few days. And I was informed that after 35 weeks, they won't stop labor if it starts on its own. You should keep pushing for an appointment. You're the MOM and you get to call the shots.
ReplyDeleteGood luck!!
Thanks for checking on me Lisa... sorry, I have been kinda missing in action!
ReplyDeleteI hope you spoke to your OB about the more frequent check ups. I can't have enough of these appointments!
About the belly attack, I guess my bedrest has spared me from those! But I would have been so uncomfy too!