Since moving to Colorado, I have found that some people have some very strange ideas about Minnesota. We have met people from all over the country (because seriously, despite the few with superiority complexes who feel the need to plaster their cars with "Native" stickers, there aren't very many of them in Colorado (and to go even further into this tangent, how do Native Americans feel about those bumper stickers anyway?)), and it never ceases to amaze me when people assume Minnesota is a frozen tundra year round. The movie "Fargo" only depicted one season people. And yes, maybe winter is a little longer there, but we definitely have hot summers. When we got home, it was near 100 with a dew point in the 70s (which pushes the heat index over 100). That is just plain tropical. Which makes Minnesota one of the most beautifully lush and green states I have had the pleasure of spending time in. In Colorado people might take the beauty of the mountains for granted, but I have learned I took the beauty of trees and lakes for granted, too. More than ever before, Brian and I are determined to move back next year, and this trip convinced us it's the right decision. Without a doubt.
On our first day back, Brian golfed with some old college friends and my mom and I hung out all day. In the evening, we went to my dad's house for dinner. Noah enjoyed digging in the rocks with Papa Jeff. This was something I used to spend hours doing when I was younger (how cool am I?), so some of my DNA must be in there somewhere.
The next day was unbearably hot, so we went to the aquarium inside of the Mall of America. Noah was not shy about running up to the various displays and interacting with other children in his way. A couple of times he surprised me with his sealife identification skills. He actually correctly named an urchin! (iPad apps are good for something afterall.) He was fascinated by the huge turtles and all of the sharks he got to see.
Brian and I took in a Minnesota Twins game with some friends, and for the first time in a long time, got to see them win. Then on Wednesday we headed up to my parents' cabin on East Battle Lake. Noah really enjoyed watching chipmunks, catching his first two fish, playing in the lake, going for boat rides, and blowing bubbles with Grandma Cheri. In the evening after Noah was in bed, the adults played heated rounds of Phase 10, Catch Phrase, and the Marble Game (you might know it as "Aggravation") while drinking margaritas, Stella Blues, and Stormy Nights. YUM. As usual, Noah adjusted well to an unfamiliar environment and slept and napped like a champion. He was also an eating machine the whole trip. A growth spurt maybe?
| First fish! |
| This one melts me. |
| Our annual family photo in front of the lake. |
After all the excitement of the cabin, we headed to Brian's parents' house on Sunday for a full week of fun! Noah, Grandma Wendy and I spent several mornings at their country club's pool. Noah enjoyed his version of swimming, which is more like crawling in the shallowest water available, and playing with all of the fun pool toys Grandma Wendy bought for him. On our last trip there he became addicted to a game of football/basketball which of course he called "soccer." He fell in the water twice, but we were able to cheer and clap the tears away by telling him what a great dive he did! (Two year olds are suckers.) We also went to the Minnesota Zoo to see the dinosaur exhibit they had going. Noah thinks he loves T-Rex, but when he saw a large, animatronic version, not so much. He liked the pterodactyl looking one though, and called it a dragon. One morning we went to a local beach and played in the sand. Noah thought it was really funny to smash the sand castles that Grandma Wendy and I labored over. He's such a destructive little guy! Brian got to play a ton of golf with his dad, and even beat him one day.
| At the Zoo with Papa Tom |
| Ice cream with Grandma Wendy |
A visit with Uncle Kevin and Aunt Erin. Noah loved Erin!
|
We learned that Noah is willing to try swimming when he has something to go after.
|
On the very last day, Brian started the trek back by car while Noah and I enjoyed a day at the Como Zoo (yes, Minneapolis/St. Paul has two of them) with my dad.
Overall, it was another great trip home. Two and a half weeks still felt too short. Hopefully our next trip back will be for the rest of our lives!
Overall, it was another great trip home. Two and a half weeks still felt too short. Hopefully our next trip back will be for the rest of our lives!



My fingers are crossed on that one! He was SO fun, and we miss you kids.
ReplyDeleteWow, that sounds like an awesome trip!!! Love all the pictures and Noah is adorable =) I'm one of those elusive CO natives...but I don't have a bumper sticker to announce it *LOL* One time I went the New Zealand and they thought CO was frozen year round too. I've never been to MN but have heard wonderful things about all the lakes and fun water actives. Hope everything works out to move home!!!
ReplyDelete