Last night I ripped off my estrogen patches. It was actually a pretty emotional moment, like admitting that yes, this is over. I've decided I'm going to try the natural route. I know it's going to be physically and emotionally painful, and will take much longer than a D&C to run it's course. Yesterday I talked to the only friend I know who's been through a D&C. She said it was a horrible experience, and she ended up being one of the unlucky 20% who ended up with uterine scarring. She needed several additional D&Cs to clear that out, which significantly delayed her ability to conceive again (but she did, and she has a beautiful 18 month old daughter to show for it). Despite what she went through she still said she wasn't sure she would've done anything differently. But for me, it's something like this that I just don't want to deal with. I trust in my body's ability to let nature run its course. And it makes me sad to think about this baby getting scraped out of me. That just sounds awful. So I'm going to give it a few days, and if nothing happens by Friday I will go in for the cytotec to see if we can speed things up. I just have a feeling I won't need to though.
Can I just say that having to make this decision totally fucking sucks? Ugh.
Brian and I have also talked a bit about next steps for us. For now I would like to wait until after the holidays to start any new plans, and that's probably our only option anyway. I've let go of the idea of "good timing" for due dates in relation to the school calendar. Clearly it's completely out of our control anyway. I'm also fairly certain that we will be leaving our clinic. Our original RE left the practice just before Noah was born. I thought he simply retired, but then a year later discovered that he opened his own practice about 10 miles away. I thought about switching for our FET cycle and even emailed the clinic, but I never heard back so we just stuck with what we knew. However, I think it's important that you have complete faith in your team and our experience this time around left us with a bad taste in our mouth (not because of the loss, I promise, I know that's not their fault). When the PA explained all of my options on Friday I asked her if we could take our embryos elsewhere. She was confident we could. So once I've been given the all clear in regards to the miscarriage, I will contact our old RE and get on his radar. It makes me a little happy to think about seeing him again. He's very dear to our family.
Thank you all so much for your kind comments over the last couple of days. I'm so glad I found this community. Your support is invaluable. Wish me luck this week. I'm going to need it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I am glad that you have made a decision that works best for you!! I hope that things go as smoothly as possible for you. I am thinking of you.
ReplyDeleteYou're right, that decision totally fucking sucks! I'm so sorry you had to make it. Hope things go s quickly and painlessly as possible. Lots of PTs for you. I think you've got a great idea moving back to Dr A, he is such an amazing doc. When I called them they said we could actually borrow a dewar (carrying case for the embies), go pick up your own embryos and then bring them to Dr A's facility for no charge. They can also arrange transport for a couple hundred $$. I will be thinking of you this week.
ReplyDeletePS Thank you for the support you've been showing me with my POAS adventures even with all your going through. That's really, really sweet.
I think I would have made the same decision you've made - to let nature take its course. It really does suck that you have to make this decision at all. Life is so unfair sometimes:( (((hugs)))
ReplyDeleteIf it's possible, fucking sucks is an understatement. They say you are only as happy as your least happy child. I hate that you have to go through this. But I am so glad that you have this community of caring women who are always so supportive. Stay strong, Hon. It won't be easy, but you'll get through it. XO
ReplyDeleteI am just catching up with your blog and my heart just sank. I am soooo sooo sorry, Lisa. I know there is nothing I can write that will really help much, but please know that there is one more person thinking of you tonight. Lots of love...
ReplyDeleteOh hon... just catching up today. I can't tell you how absolutely and utterly sorry I am that you're going through this. Such an awful, awful position to have to be put in. I absolutely think you guys made the right choice for yourselves. Thinking of you, and sending you a lot of love and strength.
ReplyDeleteHope things aren't too bad physically. It wasn't for me. Wine and chocolate always seem to help...
ReplyDeleteTake care.