Sunday, January 6, 2013

My "What Not To Wear" Christmas

To give you some background about myself, I have never had any fashion sense. As a kid, my mom permed my already wavy hair, I had huge plastic blue and pink glasses, I wore fanny packs, stirrup pants, and t-shirts with cartoon characters on them.

Exhibit A
I also had a really hard time shopping as a kid. I know this probably won't get much sympathy, but I have always been very thin. I was also tall for my age when younger, so finding jeans was impossible. I can't tell you how many times my mom and I would both leave the mall in tears from our frustration. So some of my fashion ineptitude was due to not being able to find stylish things that fit me. But this also morphed into a total hatred towards shopping. As a result, I've never had a very stocked closet. When I watch home buying shows and the stupid wife makes the comment that the closet might be big enough for her clothes, I just laugh. All I need is one small rack. Seriously. Since I started working in the schools 6 years ago, my wardrobe hasn't changed much. It's boring, boring, boring, and not even remotely current. I always feel so dumpy and frumpy, which doesn't do much for my confidence in general. This Christmas I decided that I owe it to myself to force myself to shop for a more age and profession-appropriate wardrobe. Wanna see?

Currently, my workwear consists of mostly sweaters, cardigans, and dress pants. Most of them are grey, black, blue, or brown. Yawn. 
The usual work look
I needed a serious boost of color. And more than just pants. Here's a few of my new outfits!

A more colorful and flattering sweater option
A more vibrant cardigan look
Skirts!
Boots and a scarf? New territory!
And it's not just my work wardrobe. When going out with friends or with the family, I tend to look very casual. And sloppy. Some of my shirts have holes in them and I don't even care. Yikes. Stacy and Clinton would kill me.
The usual out and about look
Also note, the blue and grey. Double yawn. Again, I needed more color and more excitement in general.

The new me
I know money doesn't buy happiness, but this new wardrobe is the boost I needed to feel more confident, which I think will increase some of my sense of happiness. Baby steps. So thank you to all of my parents, including in-laws, for lavishing me with gift cards and a few new shirts!!

P.S. In case you care, I did all of my shopping at Nordstrom, Hot Mama, and DSW. I LOVE Hot Mama! Too bad they don't do maternity anymore, should I ever need it again.

P.P.S. I totally should have cleaned off the mirror before I took all of these pictures. Oh well!

5 comments:

  1. Love your new clothes!!! I totally need to do this to my closet. As I type I'm wearing a hoodie and jeans. Need some serious pep =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I was allowed to wear jeans at work, I would be in jeans and hoodies all the time! Fridays are the only days I get to, and yes, I wear the same hooded school sweatshirt every week. Or when it's warm one of my four school t-shirts. Old habits die hard!

      Delete
  2. Cute new clothes! Sometimes a new wardrobe just really brightens you day... or month...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, in my defense, I don't recall ever giving you an actual perm. We used to braid your hair and let it dry to resemble a perm. But a real perm? Really? Beats me. I'm old. Oh, and those pink and blue glasses? They were HOT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, you look so awesome!! So happy to see you taking some time/money for yourself.
    PS Some of those "befores" look a lot like what you wore in college ;).

    ReplyDelete