Sunday, February 3, 2013

Happy Birthday, Thurston Hue!

In the fall of 2008, my best friend and I were both in the swing of trying to conceive. Brian and I were already growing concerned that something was amiss, but my friend was just getting started. We were excited at the prospect of being pregnant together and having kids about the same age. That Thanksgiving we had talked about meeting up in Vegas for a long weekend, but nixed it because we figured it wouldn't be any fun if we couldn't drink. Oh how naive we were! Within a few months, Brian and I learned of our fertility challenges. After a few months more, my friend started to suspect issues of their own. Her husband took longer to bring around to the idea of testing of any kind, but eventually it was confirmed that they would need some reproductive assistance as well. Being pregnant while she still waited was hard for me. We didn't talk about my pregnancy much, and I never even saw her the whole time I was pregnant. I felt guilty for leaving her behind. I knew she wanted it so badly, and I too wanted it for her just as much.

Today, I am thrilled to report that my best friend has finally crossed over from infertile to Mommy! (13 days past her due date, poor thing, but all natural.) Welcome to the world, little Thurston! You are already so immensely loved!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations to your friend!!! Happy she made it to the "other side" of IF =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got around to reading this- Thank you for the very touching tribute! Thurston is well worth the wait (both the 13 days past due, and the 3+ years trying to make him..)! And he will be lucky to have Noah as a role model, even on a long distance basis!

    ReplyDelete