Tuesday, December 8, 2009

It's A...


BOY!!!

Ah yes, everyone I know is having boys. I guess we're just going with the flow. The ultrasound was pretty amazing, and we videotaped it for posterity. The doctor explained everything in more detail than I could sometimes comprehend. I was holding my breath a lot since I didn't know if he would say something good or bad about each organ system. Everything looked good, minus a condition called pyelectasis. Basically, the kidneys aren't draining fluid as fast as it's building up. Apparently he has a mild condition of this, and it could very well correct itself before birth. But he'll need an ultrasound 4-6 weeks after birth to make sure there are no structural anomalies within the kidneys. The doctor also mentioned that my placenta was kind of low, so he wants me back at 32 weeks to check on it. He suspected that might also self-correct as my uterus grows, and for now I have no restrictions on activity. It's amazing how I can get so much good news (brain, heart, spine, etc. look good), and all I walk away remembering are the words "pyelectasis" and "low placenta." I'll try not to worry too much...

We went out to Target afterwards and bought a boy outfit, then went home, loaded the video onto the computer, and called our parents to Skype with them. The awesome part was being able to use the screen share function to show them the video. It was fun to see their reactions as they watched.

This weekend we'll finally register. And it's time to get serious on the baby name front. Let the fun begin!!

8 comments:

  1. Lisa's mom said ...
    Sweetie, I remember distinctly when I was carrying your brother that the doctor made some offhand remark. I worried about it the whole time, though I don't remember it any more! I do remember mentioning it to the doctor later, and he laughed and said he should be more careful how he phrased things. When a doctor speaks, everyone listens. Kind of like Merrill Lynch. (An old ad slogan.)Try not to worry - it doesn't help anyway. :-) (I know - look who's talking!) Love ya, Mom P.S. So if not Sven, what about Ole?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your Mom, Lisa. Totally impossible not to worry, but it sounds like if either of these situations merit further attention, they can be managed. We love you! Thanks for the totally cool way you shared the news with us. It was incredible! Ultrasounds were rare back in the "olden days" when I had Brian, so that was my first one! There is just nothing that compares to hearing that heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! That is a great news! Your baby has been an all rounder (right from a fab embryo stage)... I am sure things will correct itself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! I also join the ranks of boydom! I have two little princes on the way. I understand your worry, almost all of the time those concerns correct themselves. I got some pretty high AFP results and was beside myself with worry. However the more I talked to docs, nurses and others about it the better I felt. I also know the real times you feel the best are when you see your little dude on U/S, so I know where you are coming from but if they arent too alarmed try not to be as well. I am trying to take my own advise as well:) Cheers to boys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so torn- between wanting to know and wanting the big surprise on baby's birthday. I'm glad you found out, so I can live vicariously through you for a bit while C and I keep ourselves in the dark. Congratulations! (I would have said the same thing if you were carrying a girl) Good luck with the name-picking, and as everyone else is saying, try not to worry. If the doc thought it was something that needed worry, he'd make that pretty obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Lisa - how lucky you are! I'm so happy to have you in the "mommy of a boy" club. You are going to love it. It's the best club in the world :).

    ReplyDelete