Noah is still doing well. He has fussy spells most evenings starting around 7:00pm. Last night I gave him over to Brian so I could get some stuff done and just relax a little. It was great! We've found that swaddling him in his sleep swaddle usually calms him, but some nights we hold off on using it until we're ready to go to bed. It seems to help assure that he goes down for the night a little easier. I've laid off altogether on setting an alarm to feed him, and he's settled into a nice rhythm on his own. He tends to go 3-4 hours between feedings, and most days we get 7-8 feedings in. Since he seems content after most feedings and has plenty of wet and poopy diapers, I am pretty sure he's getting enough to eat. Today I pumped for the first time so that Brian might be able to take on some middle of the night feedings this weekend. I was able to get close to 3oz on each side, for a total of almost 6oz. I've looked all over the internet trying to find out what is normal, and how much he would need per feeding, but it looks like there are no clear answers. I saw one site that said he should eat around 3oz (divide 25oz by the average number of feeds per day). If anyone has thoughts, advice, or knowledge about this, please leave a comment!
Wednesday, May 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Stop worrying about the "amounts". If he is content and has wet and poopy diapers be assured that he is getting enough. Relax and enjoy the closeness and the special gift you are giving him. Barb
ReplyDelete6oz is huge, especially after a feed. I think kellymom says 0.5-2oz is pretty normal(not sure if that's after a feed though). I'm lucky to get just over 1oz after a feed.
ReplyDelete3oz to feed him once sounds about right.
Three weeks. Wow.
ReplyDeleteAnd it's great that you're letting him schedule his own feedings. My aunt (a wonderful woman) stressed herself out so much that she never wants to have another child because she would literally stare at the clock and wake the baby at exactly the three hour mark. That made for a cranky baby and a strung-out mommy.
As for how much Noah is eating - like others have said, if he's content and growing (both in length and weight), then he's eating enough.