Monday, August 6, 2012

Waiting

The first hours after finding out we had to take a month off from our FET attempts, I was pretty bummed out. Then I had two weeks of living it up back home to distract me. It was good timing in a way, because I think my body really did need a break. Since beginning birth control in June, I've been having heart arrhythmias. For a while, they picked up in frequency, and at times they almost caused full-on panic attacks. I am prone to anxiety, and when I can feel my heart doing wonky things, that understandably causes increased anxiety. When we got home from vacation, I made an appointment with my doctor. She saw me the same day and took a sympathetic listen to my canceled FET story. She suggested that an increase in my estrogen levels certainly could have played a role in creating an initial arrhythmia, and that my hormones coupled with anxiety could be perpetuating them. The human mind is a tricky thing. She gave me lorazepam (generic for Ativan) to try to calm me down in general. I have noticed a sharp decrease in the number of arrhythmias, but they continue to bother me. I'm thinking tomorrow I will call back and ask for the heart monitor that she wanted to wait on. Though I doubt I'm having a true coronary event, I know I will feel more at ease moving forward with our next FET knowing that something isn't majorly wrong with me.
(Isn't infertility fun?)
As for when that will happen, I have no idea. I still don't know when to expect AF. The waiting has gotten so much harder now that we're home and back into our old routines. I start back to work in two weeks, and though I'm not looking forward to that stress again, I am happy to have an FET to look forward to. The end of summer is always so depressing to me. If I have to go back to work, at least I know I get to take bits and pieces of time off for me and our pursuit of another baby. I stored up a lot of sick time last school year hoping to cash it in for maternity pay, but it doesn't look like I'll be needing that anymore, so bring on the sick days! ;)

P.S. It's my birthday! I hope it's a lucky month!

6 comments:

  1. The heart monitor is a good idea. It may reassure you. I'm hoping it's just PVCs like mine. They are the least scary heart thing! I wore a heart monitor on two different occasions. They're pretty amazing and give a lot of information for your doc. I'd say go for it. But have you tried eating bananas? They're like a miracle food. They help heart arrhythmias.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday!

    I am also prone to anxiety (especially at night time), and I get arrhythmias sometimes too. Interestingly, I had them a lot at the beginning of this pregnancy. I didn't really think about the hormonal influence... interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happiest of birthdays dear friend! Waiting just blows. I understand the increase in anxiety - how could it not? Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday!!! Sorry about the waiting...I hear ya, it sucks. Hope the heart monitor can give you lots of information to set your mind at ease.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday!!!

    We learn way too much about our bodies through IF. I'd have been quite content to remain oblivious, but the things I learned were really interesting. Good luck with everything, and it is a lot- back to work, FET, arrhythmias, and a toddler to keep up with. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday! Hope the holter shows nothing serious, so you can relax and go into your FET with nothing to worry about healthwise.

    ReplyDelete