So on to pumping. I have to say it feels really weird, despite total privacy, to undress half-way and hook a machine up to my chest while at work. But I'm sure eventually it will start to feel more normal, or at least more a part of my daily routine. At least I have my own offices in my schools and access to private refrigerators in the nurse's office. Today pumping was especially interesting. My department had a meeting at the Zoo, and I wasn't sure where to pump. In the morning I found a private family restroom and used that. It was quite the experience. They have a speaker system in the bathroom that plays educational information about the pooping habits of various animals. So here I am, pumping milk and listening to a woman's voice telling me that momma kangaroos lick up their baby's poop when they make a mess in mommy's pouch. And that some weird species of animal has poisonous poop, which it then rubs all over its body to keep predators at bay. Fun times! In the afternoon I went to the guest center and asked if there was somewhere else I could pump. A security guard opened up the first aid room for me, which was way nicer (and quieter) than the family restroom. But as I was getting close to finishing, I heard someone trying to get in. I totally freaked out at the thought of a total stranger walking in on me, but luckily they left. Phew. Man, breastfeeding is such a commitment! But all I have to do is look at Noah's sweet face, and it all becomes worth it.
Next week we have our 4 month appointment, and I'm hoping to get the green light to try some solids. Maybe that will help fill him up at bedtime and he can sleep longer for mommy!

OMG... that is hilarious... pumping while you hear poopy info in the family restroom! I can imagine how it must have been!
ReplyDeleteWhen I have to start pumping, it will be in my house since I work from home. My options will be in my home office (while working) -- with stay-at-home nosy neighbors spying on me (will have to hermetically seal windows so they can't see my topless routine), or in the family room/kitchen area, which has floor-ceiling windows on 2/4 walls (so same nosy neighbor issue applies). Maybe I'll just say "screw it" and be topless all day and not care. It would be the most exciting thing to happen to my neighbors in quite a while I bet.
ReplyDeleteI get so confused about when you can start solid food -- 4 months, 6 months, ??? I guess our ped will fill us in. I have so much to learn, for crying out loud. I'm starting to think that keeping a baby alive might be hard work. ;)
Glad it sounds like things went well. Great news about your friend babysitting!
ReplyDeleteI had the IT guy walk in on me at work one day. Yeah, that was akward...
ReplyDelete