It's been a while. It never fails that back to school equals a blogging break. So what's new? Let's see. I never got around to my final installment of Summer Vacation, Part 5. Although nothing about August was all that exciting. Here are some highlights.
On my birthday we drove to Golden, a cute little town west of Denver. It was the original capitol of Colorado. Clear Creek runs through the city (which is where Coors is), and there is a nice trail that weaves along its banks. Noah enjoyed going on the slide from the sidewalk down to the creek bank, playing with the fish statues, and splashing in the creek.
| The finished product! |
I also bought Noah some watercolor paints to let his inner arteest shine through. He was excited two days in a row, and ever since he's all "whatever Mom" about it. Everything he painted he called a dragon. He is obsessed.
On our last night of summer vacation we made a campfire in our backyard and put up our tent. (You know, the one we registered for back in 2004 for our wedding, but have never taken out of the box before.) Noah made s'mores for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed playing in the tent. It was especially fun to shine the flashlight at T-Rex (aka Daddy) as he stomped around and shook the tent. Scary!So then it was time to go back to work. Oh man, it was not a good first day back, let me tell you. I was still crazy anxious at the time, with a million skipped beats going on. I pulled up my caseload for the year and it was even higher than last year. I also have a new school which I was really nervous about. I went home that night feeling totally overwhelmed and cried my eyes out at dinner. Noah was not sure what to think, and kept asking "Mommy, what's doing?" and "Mommy, you have owwie?" When I finally pulled myself together he sweetly asked, "Mommy, all better?" So the next day I put in a request to reduce to a .8, meaning four days a week. I was told it could take several months to make that happen due to staffing shortages, but in the meantime I might change my mind. The more money we can save this year, the better. Anyway, now I'm back into a routine and I'm feeling much less overwhelmed. The anxiety I was plagued with throughout August finally subsided. Thank goodness, because I was really starting to lose it. There were even days where I thought I just couldn't go through with another FET EVER because I was too much of a basketcase and how could I possibly be a good parent to not only one but two children. Luckily, those feelings have passed.
The nice thing about the start of school is that it's always quickly followed by a three day weekend. My dad came through town and we enjoyed some time with him. On Saturday we went to a place called Tiny Town which is in the foothills. They have a small steam engine train that winds around a small village of houses and buildings. Noah was pretty amped to ride the train (though in pictures he never looks excited about anything, he's a serious little boy, just like his daddy!) and he really enjoyed walking inside the houses he was allowed to.
| On the train, oh boy! |
| Watching for the train with Grandpa Lee |
| Here it comes! |
| Playing in the tiny jail. This was his favorite building. Should I be concerned?? |
| Daddy bought him a train whistle |
As far as the FET goes, we're two days away from the first official day of this cycle. I started Lupron about two weeks ago and stopped the pill last weekend. I'm going in for the baseline ultrasound and bloodwork Monday morning. I can't help but feel nervous. I really don't want to get canceled again. With so many pregnant friends currently, I really need some good news on my own reproductive abilities!
Other than all that, things have been pretty boring around here. Noah got really sick this week, and it unfortunately coincided with my daycare provider's move. A friend of mine had graciously volunteered to watch Noah Thursday and Friday since he couldn't go to daycare, but once he got sick we decided it was best to keep him home away from her two little ones. He had croup, which can I just say is seriously scary! The first night he woke up gasping for air and didn't seem to be able to breathe. We started heading for the ER, but when he settled down on the way there I decided to phone the after-hours nurse advice line instead. One cough later and she told us it was just croup and to humidfy the bejeezus out of his bedroom. The poor guy had a fever all week though, and his cough isn't going anywhere soon. Inevitably I am now getting sick. You know you're screwed when you accidentally turn your open mouth into your child's face as he sneezes. Yuck. Hopefully we'll all be better soon!

The conundrum with long posts... they're fun to read, but hard to comment on. Too many things to choose from!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad Noah is doing better... me and my siblings had croup all the time when we were young. I remember the not being able to breathe, it was really scary!
I'll be thinking of you and crossing my fingers for a successful FET!
I've heard great things about tiny town...we're going to have to make it there. The haircut part cracks me up...my DD still hasn't had one. I put her mullet up in pig tails =) Wishing you tons of luck with your FET, we're a couple weeks apart. Hope September is a lucky, lucky month for us both!
ReplyDeleteCute! Love your photos. :) My nephew cried and cried when he got his hair cut for the first time. That's great that your son handled it so well!
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear the germs are making their rounds in your household. I hope you both feel better soon!