Saturday, August 8, 2009

Riddle Me This

I knew Dr. Google would not be able to answer this one. (Tom, if you're reading this, you might want to skip this post...) So... way back in college I had a physical done at the campus clinic. In the middle of my breast exam, the doctor asked me if I knew what this little piece of pink flesh was underneath righty. I quickly replied, "Yes, it's a chicken pox scar." She smiled politely and stated, "No sweetie, that's a supernumerary nipple." Me, silence. Then, "Wait, you mean, that's a third nipple?" She, "Yes!" Me, "Oh my God!" I thought it was about the funniest thing I had ever heard. But I was always a little skeptical. According to my mom, and baby photos, there was no evidence of this extra "appendage" at birth. And I never fully trusted the competency of our campus clinic staff (no offense to anyone who has or does work in one). It was a joke on my floor that you could go in there with a sore throat, and they would ask if you needed a pap smear. And no other doctor has ever brought it up. So where is this story going you might ask? Well, the doctor also informed me that day that extra nipples follow the mammary line, so it's possible that while it is tiny, it could swell and lactate if I ever get pregnant. Yesterday, I noticed that my little friend was MUCH larger than normal. It actually even resembles a nipple now, which kind of grosses me out. The other two haven't changed in size or color. I scoured the internet yesterday trying to find answers to such an obscure question of what can make an extra nipple do this. All I could find was that pregnancy hormones can make it swell. Estrogen? Progesterone? I've got those in aplenty! Something else? Who knows... But now I am finally convinced that yes, I do indeed have three. Should anyone happen to have insight into all of this, I would love to hear from you!!!

1 comment:

  1. Here's to hoping it's telling you something different. Are you waiting until weds to find out? I can't decide!!!

    ReplyDelete