Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Transfer That Almost Wasn't

Today was a rollercoaster. I went in for my final ultrasound and bloodwork this morning to get the green light for transfer on Tuesday. The nurse commented that this was the last step before the big day and I replied with, "I hope so." I then explained that I had been canceled before at the same appointment, so I was a little nervous. It took the nurse forever to get a clear image on the screen (thank you tilted uterus), and once she did she immediately remarked how thick the lining was. But she didn't seem happy. Then she finally said, "Well, you're plenty thick, but I'm not seeing the multi-layer." She left me to ponder that as I dressed myself and moved on to bloodwork. As I waited for the phlebotomist, I heard the nurse consulting with someone and the dreaded C-word slipped out of her mouth. She came back while I waited and explained that they weren't entirely certain I would be moving forward. After the blood was taken, she pulled me into a room and answered some questions I had. She then gave me my protocol and said she would call later after consulting Dr. A. I left fully convinced that this cycle was done. I have been to that rodeo before. I even wrote a draft post about how bummed I was. I sent texts to Brian, my mom, and brother lamenting another canceled cycle. I reassured coworkers that I actually would be in the office next Thursday. I let my cousin know that I too had bad luck this cycle. I couldn't concentrate at work and just wanted to go home so I could cry in privacy.

Then my phone rang around 2:30. My heart sank, fearing the official cancellation. The nurse started off by telling me my E2 and P4 levels. E2 was 866 which is good. Then she said that they looked very closely at my progesterone level. If it's above 1.0 it's a definite cancel. I was at 0.2. Dr. A had reviewed the ultrasound images and concluded that it was no reason to cancel my cycle. He still felt confident about the quality of my lining. Say what?! I'm not canceled?! The nurse continued to explain that if this was our last chance/last embryo kind of situation, we would probably hold off. However, they see successful outcomes with this kind of lining and since we are lucky enough to have 9 snowbabies, we're not taking a big risk by moving forward.

In a perfect world, I would've had a flawless lining this morning. Do I feel a little less confident about this cycle? Of course. But I truly appreciate Dr. A's willingness to give it a shot and not waste everything we've done to get here. This reaffirms for me why I switched doctors.

FIVE DAYS TIL TRANSFER!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hooray for not cancelling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr A rocks =) Happy everything is moving forward. One of my IRL friends who went through a successful fresh cycle in 2009 also moved her embie (she only has ONE) to Dr A and is set for transfer next Monday. Small world! I've got everything crossed for you both.

    ReplyDelete